4.Thesis / Thematic Paper Components
Thesis Preparation and Submission, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Mahidol University.
A thesis / thematic paper can be divided into 3 sections:
- Outer Cover. This page contains details of the thesis title / thematic paper title, author's name, title of degree and field of study, graduation year. The last line must state that the thesis / thematic paper is the copyright of Mahidol University.
The outer cover of Master's degree thesis / thematic paper is made of hard paper covered with black paper with embossed gold letters.
The outer cover of Doctoral degree thesis is made of hard paper covered with blue paper with embossed gold letters.
The spine of the Thesis / thematic paper contains details of the thesis / thematic paper title, author's name and graduation year.
- Blank Page.
- Title Page. This page contains the details as same as the Outer Cover.
- Entitle Page. This page contains details of thesis title / thematic paper title, author's name and title, author's rank of nobility, title conferred by the kings or religious rank should appear, members of Thesis / Thematic Paper Advisory Committee with academic title and degree, Program Director's name and Dean of Faculty of Graduate Studies.
- Approval Page. This page contains details of thesis title / thematic paper title, author's name, members of Thesis / Thematic Paper Defense Committee, Dean of Faculty where the program held and Dean of Faculty of Graduate Studies.
- Acknowledgement Page. Acknowledgements are statements of gratitude to any individual, institution and / or agency that provided assistance or cooperation during the course of thesis / thematic paper. They should be extended to members of Thesis / Thematic Paper Advisory Committee, Thesis / Thematic Paper Defense Committee, financial sponsor, individual who provided suggestions and information as well as those who permitted the use of writings and research equipment. Acknowledgements should be written in plain academic style, avoid using spoken and colloquial language. Individuals should be referred by first name-family name with titles, ranks of authority, titles conferred by being or priestly rank.
It must not exceed 1 page.
- Abstract Page. This page contains details of thesis title / thematic paper
title, author's name, name of degree in brief and name of field of study in full, members of Thesis / Thematic Advisory Committee with degree, key words (not more than 5 words) and total numbering of thesis / thematic paper.
Abstract should include objectives, goals, scope of the research, research methodology, research findings and meet criteria: accuracy, completeness, precision, conciseness and clarity. An abstract should only reports significant findings and statistical data of the research.
It must not exceed 1 page.
- Contents. This page outlines important sections of the thesis / thematic paper in proper order of page numbers.
- List of tables (if any).This page lists the captions and page numbers of all the tables that appear in the thesis / thematic paper.
- List of figures, List of illustrations (if any). This page lists the page number of all figures (figures, maps, charts and graphs) in the thesis / thematic paper.
- List of abbreviations (if any). This page describes symbols and abbreviation in the thesis / thematic paper.
is divided into 3 sections : Introduction, main text and conclusions / or suggestion.
- Introduction. This is the first chapter of the thesis / thematic paper that provides background information and indicates the significance of the problem, research objectives, scope, brief methodology and benefits.
- Main text. The main text can be divided into as many chapters as needed and should include one chapter of a literature review detailing relevant concepts, theories and previous research works. There should also be a chapter detailing comprehensive research methodology employed, steps taken, type of documents, information or equipment used and the manner in which they were obtained, research findings as well as there analysis and discussion. The details man be included as deemed appropriate by the thesis / thematic paper Major advisor and Program Director.
- Summary and /or Suggestion. This section summarizes the whole thesis while indicating limitations of the research (if any) and providing suggestion for further research effort, research benefits and applications.
- References section. This section comprises of list of references that details titles of books, publications, audiovisual materials.
- Appendices are supplementary texts that can not be included in the body of the text but can enhance thesis comprehensive and any relevant research data that were not directly cited in the thesis / thematic paper.
- Author's biography. The biography appears on the last page. This page should include the following information of the author:
- First and last name with applicable title, rank, rank of nobility, title conferred by the king and religious rank.
- Date of birth
- Place of birth (province and country)
- Education credentials from Bachelor degree upward together with details of relevant academic institution and year of degree completion.
- Scholarship / Research grants (if any)
- Home address
- Current work position and office
- Academic publication
- Award received: state only the important ones.